| DID YOU KNOW THAT?
- Izmir was established at least 5000 years ago.
- Epic poet Homer (9th century B.C), the author of “the Iliad and the Odyssey” was born in Izmir.
- Three of the “Seven Churches” which were mentioned in Bible are in Izmir.
- One of the Seven Wonders of the antiquity, Temple of Artemis is at Ephesus.
- The symbol of the ancient city of Izmir was a lion’s head.
- Parchment paper was first invented in Pergamon.
- The Phokaians built 50- oared boats carrying 500 passengers.
- Phokaians established colonies in the western Mediterranean such as “Velia” in Italy, “Ampurias” in Spain and “Marseilles” in France.
- The earliest temple dedicated to the goddess Athena was constructed in Izmir.
- Izmir was mentioned by famous historian Heredos as ” the city under the most sublime blue sky and on the remarkable climate”.
- Alexander the Great was told by Aristo, the philosopher like the following “ If you do not see Smyrna you remain lacking”.
- Xenophanes, philosopher and poet of Colophon lived in the 6th century B.C.
- The famous philosopher Heraclitus(540-480 B.C) lived in Ephesus.
- The famous philosopher Anaxagoras (500-428 B.C) lived in Clazomenae.
- Bucolic poet Bion (3rd century B.C) lived in Izmir.
- Famous physician Galen (131-210.A.D) lived in Pergamon.
- The first church dedicated to Virgin Mary was built at Ephesus
- Virgin Mary‘s House where she spent her last days is in Selcuk
- St. John wrote the Bible at Ephesus and died there.
- On his 3rd missionary journey St. Paul preached at Ephesus Theatre.
- Cleopatra spent the winter of the year 188 in Ephesus together with Antonius.
- French poet Lamartine, French authors Chateubriand, Theophile Gautier, and Gustave Flaubert visited Izmir.
- Pope Paul VI and Pope John II visited the Virgin Mary’s House in 1967 and 1979 respectively.
- International Art Festival hosted Ray Charles, Paco De Lucia, Joan Baez, Martha Graham Dance Company, Tanita Tikaram, Jethro Tull, Leningrad Philarmony Orchestra, Christ De Burg, Sting, Moscow State Philarmony Orchestra, Jan Garbarek, Red Army Chorus, Academy of St. Martin in the Field, Kodo, Chick Corea, New York City Ballet, Nigel Kennedy, Bryan Adams, James Brown in İzmir, Ephesus and Çeşme.
- Famous singer Dario Moreno lived in Izmir.
- Bademler is the first and only village which has theatre in Turkey.